Stun guns are becoming more and more in demand for self-defense, but are they legal and do they do any good at all? You can buy numerous stun guns in gun stores and various online stores, but not all of them are legal in Germany. We want to explain to you what you have to pay attention to when buying and how effective the devices really are.
The most important facts in 30 seconds:
- Stun guns with PTB seal are legal in Germany
- Stun guns in combination (with flashlight etc.) are forbidden in Germany
- The effect depends on the number of volts + amperes + where it is used
- Stun guns are not necessarily suitable for self-defense, more below.
- 500.000 Volt
- Handschlaufe mit Sicherungsstift
Stun gun mode of operation & effect on humans
The stun gun or cattle prod generates an electrical voltage between two contacts when the button is pressed. When these two contacts come into contact with your attacker’s body, electric current flows between the contacts through his body.
The electric current superimposes the body’s own impulses (because these also work through electric impulses) and causes the muscles to tense up, which manifests itself in uncontrolled trembling. It also causes redness at the points of entry and, depending on the intensity, burns, but probably the most dangerous effect is the electrolytic decomposition of the blood, which leads to poisoning.
But beware: In Germany, only stun guns are allowed, in which these effects occur only in the beginning and in non-dangerous intensity. In general, the longer the exposure to the current, the stronger the after-effects, which manifest themselves mainly in muscle pain.
Video: Stun gun in test
A picture says more than 1000 words. Therefore, we have selected a few helpful videos with stun gun tests, which offer visual material and background information on stun guns. In the videos one thing becomes clear, the effectiveness may not be sufficient for some attackers. Experienced attackers are only frightened by the electrical impulse of the stun gun, but not incapacitated.
Stun gun suitable for self defense?
The crucial question for most people is whether a stun gun is suitable for self-defense or not. Our conclusion is: rather not! For the following reasons:
- Quick reaction: No strength is required to use it, but a lot of speed is, which makes it more suitable for the younger among you. The weight of a stun gun is usually only around 200 grams plus batteries, so it is excellent especially for weaker arms.
- No surprise effectthe weapon will be recognized by your attacker at first sight and will not give you a chance to use it calmly. So your best option is to use the Stun Gun before your attacker gets to see it.
- Only against one attackerfor the same reason, the Stun Gun is not suitable for use against multiple enemies. As soon as you use it for the first time, the rest of the attackers will be very careful not to come into your range with their bodies. It is useless anyway when attacked from multiple directions.
- Not reliablein addition, the self-defense weapon is not 100% reliable: If used improperly, or if a covered part of the skin is used, the weapon will not work optimally. And even if used correctly, trained attackers can withstand the pain and will not be knocked out.
- Proximity to the opponentin order to use the electric impulse weapon, you must be standing directly in front of the enemy. This already puts you in immediate danger. The device can be stolen from you and used against you.
How effective is a stun gun?
The voltage of 500,000 volts or even 1,000,000 volts sounds enormous in contrast to the wall socket voltage of 230 volts. However, the current is rated so low that nothing can happen to you even if the attacker touches you during the shock.
But be careful: In the end it depends on different factors how effective the use of a stun gun turns out to be. On the one hand, there are external factors and, of course, device properties.
The decisive factors for the effectiveness of the stun gun are:
- The strength of the stun gun: Some models have crazy values of 500,000 volts (electrical voltage = volts) or even millions of volts. However, this value alone is not decisive. Paired with the amperage (this is the current strength), the electrical power can be calculated here, which is responsible for the amount of current flow.
- Electrical resistance: Where is the electrical impulse used? On the skin or does the current have to penetrate clothing?
- Moisture: Is the clothing or skin moist? This lowers the electrical resistance and increases the effect significantly.
Points of action on the body
Effective attack points are all those where failure of the musculature incapacitates. In addition, the pain increases when there is more musculature at the point hit.
- You could, for example, paralyze the hip and thigh if you hit the groin area, causing your attacker to collapse, but not seriously hurt.
- The use against the shoulder joint can incapacitate the entire arm.
- A hit to the abdomen will cause severe pain, possibly combined with vomiting, thus also incapacitating you.
- Also on the neck, the chance is high that the attacker is sensitively hit and incapacitated, so you can escape.
Remember: there should be no clothes in between, it weakens the effect.
- If a dog attacks you, you should try to use the device on the belly (there is less hair). Also muzzle and eyes are sensitive places – but it can be assumed that there will be permanent damage. In case of self-defense this is the second thing you should think about.
Are stun guns legal?
Yes, stun guns are legal! According to the Weapons Act, only all electric impulse devices that have not been approved by the PTB are prohibited. Therefore, look for the PTB seal.
In addition, you must observe the following when purchasing, carrying and using:
- You can look for the PTB test mark in the item description or check it on the item picture. The stun gun law does not allow any exceptions here, so better buy another device if the PTB seal is missing. Devices that meet this standard have been throttled in their performance to a level that is safe for humans.
- You do not need a gun license to purchase a stun gun. This is in contrast to alarm guns, which can only be carried with a small firearms license
- The advantage of PTB-approved stun guns is that you can carry them in public. The general ban on carrying dangerous objects at public events according to §42 WaffG also applies here, of course .
- To acquire them, you normally only have to prove that you are of age; the electric impulse weapons do not belong in children’s hands.
- Unlawful use often brings legal repercussions. So do not use the Stun Gun stun gun lightly.
- Different countries have different customs: If you buy a stun gun in Hungary, the Czech Republic, Austria or another country, it may well be legal there, but not in Germany. This should be clear to you.
There are isolated stun guns that have an integrated device for spraying irritating gas or spray. However, due to the stun gun, they must still have the PTB test seal.
Attention these stun guns are forbidden
There are devices in circulation that are mostly sold as harmless “cattle prods” but do not have a PTB test seal. These may not be purchased and also not carried in the handbag or in the car, but are considered prohibited weapons.
Caution is advised with all devices that do not look like stun guns or have this function integrated:
- Flashlight with shocker: For some time now, self-defense flashlights have been in circulation, which can also serve as a stun gun through inserted contacts on the front. These are forbidden, because currently there is no approved device in Germany. Among other reasons, this approval is not granted in Germany because weapons must be recognizable as weapons here and may not imitate everyday objects.
- Taser guns: Also not approved in Germany are stun guns that work at a distance. These are usually referred to as “stun guns” or“tasers“. These are not permitted for private use, but are reserved for police use only, as the power is significantly higher than what is considered safe.
- Baton / brass knuckles with shocker: Although some models could certainly serve as a “baton”, such models are not available for purchase in Germany.
Dangers during use
The first thing you need to keep in mind is that this is a purely melee weapon that requires contact with the attacker. This means that you’ll have to get directly in the range of his weapon, if he has one.
- There is also the danger that he will use your self-defense weapon against you if you are too slow or too weak.
- Another danger due to the throttled power in Germany is the lack of effect. The stun gun will briefly upset your attacker, but will by no means permanently paralyze him. He may even ignore the pain impulse altogether.
- When using electricity, there is of course always danger for the attacker. Especially when used on the upper body, the proximity to the heart can cause arrhythmias that can become life-threatening. The use against the head should be avoided in any case. As already mentioned, current pulses superimpose the body’s own signals. So if you override vital body signals of your attacker with a head hit, it can have serious health consequences.
- Some models have complicated mechanisms designed to keep you from accidentally triggering your pocket. However, in an emergency, these mechanisms may prevent you from having the stun gun ready to use quickly enough.
- The dangers of using an unapproved stun gun are much more serious. The likelihood of injury to the attacker increases significantly, and possession and use can have legal consequences for you.
Buy stun gun
We do not run a store for stun guns. In the following you will find offers from Amazon, there you can inform yourself about the models in detail.
|1||SHD - Power Abwehr Elektroschocker 200.000 Volt mit PTB Zulassung -Vergoldete Elektroden - Stun Gun...||73,95 EUR||Amazon|
|2||Security-Discount - PTB Elektroschocker 500.000 Volt inkl. Batterien und Dragon Pfefferspray||94,90 EUR||Amazon|
|3||Elektroschocker 200000 Volt Lady Power (mit PTB) inkl. Batterie Stun Gun||69,95 EUR 64,90 EUR||Amazon|
|4||Elektroschocker POWER 200 200000 Stun Gun mit Sicherheitsschalter||69,95 EUR 62,10 EUR||Amazon|
|5||Elektroschocker Power 500.000 Volt (frei ab 18 Jahre!)||74,85 EUR||Amazon|
FAQ about stun guns
Here you can find some answers to frequently asked questions:
Attention: Our content has been carefully prepared, however, legal standards change and some are subject to interpretation. We can not guarantee the following information, for a legally sound advice please consult a lawyer. Status: 04/ 2020
Update: 2023-01-20 / Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API