If you’ve found a martial art you enjoy with Jiu Jitsu, then it’s time to learn more about belt colors and find good equipment. But what are the rules of advancement and what equipment do you need for training?
That and more tips you get in this article.
In 30 seconds the most important things:
- In Jiu Jitsu, there are student grades (Kyu), with colored belts, and master grades (Dan), with black belts.
- For the next higher belt, an examination must be successfully completed. Techniques as well as personal suitability are tested.
- The Jiu Jitsu equipment consists of a suit, a belt and, if necessary, shoes for the winter.
- Alle KWON-Budo-Gürtel sind aus 100%
- fester Baumwolle und mehrmals gesteppt.
- Es gibt sie in den Längen 200, 220,
Jiu Jitsu you train barefoot and in a specially designed suit. This is called a Keikogi. In Germany, however, it is sometimes customary to wear mat shoes. This is especially true in schools and clubs that belong to the Budo Academy Europe. Men usually do not wear a T-shirt under the keikogi. However, due to anatomical considerations, women are permitted to wear a sports bra, t-shirt or undershirt underneath. In addition, both sexes must wear gi underwear and, as needed, a jockstrap for deep protection.
Equipment for training
Certain aspects of Jiu Jitsu training require special clothing. In any case, the clothing, which is usually made of cotton, should be sturdy enough not to tear when pulled. At the same time, it should be flexible enough so that you can move well in it.
For training you can wear sturdy judo suits, thin karate suits or special jiu jitsu gis with leg reinforcements. In Jiu Jitsu, the uniform training clothing is composed of the following elements:
- Keikogi: suit in traditional white color, although the shape and color may vary depending on the federation
- Zubon: trousers laced at the hip with elastic or drawstring waistband
- Uwagi: Robust jacket with a light lacing inside, but without buttons and zippers
- Obi: Colored belt tied in a certain way, which holds the jacket together
Basically, in Jiu Jitsu you decide various student and master degrees, with each degree having a specific belt color. First you start with the white belt and then you have to pass a belt exam to get a higher belt grade.
Belt colors Jiu Jitsu: Student grades
If you want to learn Jiu Jitsu, you should know that there is a hierarchical structure: A distinction is made between the teachers and the students. Graduation and skill are indicated by the color of the belt. This is typical for many Japanese martial arts nowadays. Generally, a distinction is made between student grades (Kyu) and master grades (Dan). Each degree has a different belt color. One starts with the white belt and then takes exams to obtain other belt grades and thus belt colors. Taking the exams is both the incentive and the confirmation. The master always knows – also independent of the belt color – how far his student has already progressed.
In the German Jiu Jitsu Union (DJJU), the German Dan College (DDK) and the German Jiu Jitsu Ring Erich Rahn (DJJR), the student grades are divided into six levels. This division is also followed by the less established umbrella organizations in Germany, such as the World Jiu Jitsu Federation (WJJF). It looks as follows:
|6. Kyu||Belt color white|
|5. Kyu||Belt color yellow|
|4. Kyu||Belt color orange|
|3. Kyu||Belt color green|
|2. Kyu||Belt color blue|
|1. Kyu||Belt color brown|
Due to the fanning out of the brown belt, on the other hand, there are nine student grades in Jiu Jitsu (DJJB). Once again, a distinction is made between the brown belt with one red stripe, with two red stripes and with three red stripes. This is to better prepare the students for the black belt.
Master degrees in Jiu Jitsu
In addition, there are ten master degrees, as is common in Japanese martial arts. In the master degree examinations there are examination programs and criteria that differ from association to association. Especially the theoretical-philosophical part of the examination increases significantly in the master degrees.
- The examination for the fifth Dan is in most federations the last technical examination you can take. Further graduations are onlyfor exceptional performance or for the federation.
- Up to the fifth Dan the belt color is black, the sixth, seventh and eighth Dan are marked by a red and white belt and for the ninth and tenth Dan there is a red belt.
What do you look for in the exams?
In each test, attention is paid to many partial aspects. The techniques must be executed dynamically and correctly. But also attitude, fighting spirit, concentration, attention and will play an important role in the exam. In addition, other aspects flow into the exam, such as personal attitude, punctuality and regular attendance at training.
Of course, this is also at the discretion of the examiner. You are therefore well advised to pay attention to all of the above aspects and to present a good overall picture.
Buy Jiu Jitsu belt
|1||Choke&Chill BJJ Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Belt Gürtel mit Schlüsselanhänger Erwachsene Kinder Luta...||19,90 EUR||Amazon|
|2||Venum Unisex Gürtel Jiu-jitsu Belt G rtel Brazilian Jiu jitsu, Weiß, A4 EU||22,99 EUR||Amazon|
|3||Zen Jiu Jitsu - White to Blue: From Confused White to Confident Blue Belt||14,31 EUR||Amazon|
|4||Jiu Jitsu: The Black Belt Blueprint: An Intelligent Approach to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (English...||8,89 EUR||Amazon|
|5||Jiu-Jitsu Feeling||0,99 EUR||Amazon|
Update: 2023-06-09 / Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API